Saturday, May 12, 2012

Historical Novel - Civil War


I just finished the book My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oleveria.  This is a stunning historical novel that captures the brutality, futility, courage and human failings of the civil war with unflinching detail.  The title character Mary Sutter, is daughter of a well-to-do family in Albany, New York who has followed her mother's example by becoming an accomplished and highly respected midwife.  However, Mary wants more that delivering babies.  She is determined to become a surgeon, despite every obstacle that is thrown in her way at a time when women are not allowed entrance to either medical school or apprenticeships. Oleveria weaves an impressive story of  both the horror and opportunities afforded by the civil war through characters that are so rich and real I swear I would recognize them if they passed me on the street. The portrayal of actual characters from Abraham Lincoln to Dorthea Dix, along with various generals and political figures were well done - but it was the created characters that made me unable to put this book down.  Mary Sutter and her family, along with the two doctors,  William Stip and James Blevens were more real to me than any I've come to know in a book in a good long time.  For anyone who likes historical fiction in general and especially those with an interest in civil war period, this is a book not to be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment